Safe Environment Program
The Archdiocese of St. Louis is committed to the prevention of child abuse and to assisting those who are affected by incidents of child abuse. For purposes of this policy, child abuse means physical injury, sexual abuse, or emotional abuse inflicted on a child, other than by accidental means, by those responsible for the child’s care, custody and control or from persons who are agents or employees of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. All employees, volunteers, religious, priests and deacons working in the schools, parishes and agencies of the Archdiocese of St. Louis are required to support this Policy and to comply with the Procedures developed to implement the Policy.
Requirements of the Safe Environment Program:
All Employees and All Volunteers who have contact with minors and/or vulnerable adults must:
- Attend a Protecting God’s Children Workshop. Workshop meeting times and locations can be found on the Archdiocesan website. You must register online to attend one of these workshops by going to www.archstl.org and click on “Protecting God’s Children” found on the left-hand side of the page. When you click on Protecting God’s Children, the list of workshops will appear. Find a workshop that will work for you and write down the date. Then scroll back up to the top and click “Start Registration” to begin the registration process. It is very quick and easy! It will ask you which workshop you want to attend. When you register you will be asked to read and electronically sign the Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Please read and electronically sign the Code of Ethical Conduct AND submit a copy of the acknowledgement to the parish office. Copies are available in the office or by clicking here.
- Complete and return to the St. Joseph Parish Office the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Family Care Safety Worker Registration form.
- Register with the Family Care Safety Registry online at www.health.mo.gov/safety/fcsr for a criminal records background check. There is a fee of $14.25 to register online. You only need to submit the form and register online one time. However, we will request the background check from the Family Care Safety Registry every two years for as long as you are working or volunteering at St. Joseph.
- If you have resided outside of the state of Missouri any time over the last five years, you will have to undergo a one-time national background check. Illinois Residents will have Illinois and Missouri background checks conducted every even-numbered year. This check may take place at the Protecting God's Children Workshop. If it does not, then you must take care of it separately.
- Minors who are employees or volunteers need to read, sign, and return to the Parish Office the Code of Ethical Conduct for Minors.
More information about the Safe Environment Program can be found on the Archdiocesan webpage. For questions, contact Maureen O'Reilly in the Parish Office at 636-227-5247.